A newsLETTER blog about life for Sarah, Stephen and Alexandria Padre in Our Nation's Capital

Aug 5, 2009

My birthday weekend

My birthday was on a Friday and because of traffic, we decided to leave on Saturday morning for Lancaster, PA, which is where I was born. (We did go out for Mexican food at a neighborhood restaurant Friday evening which I enjoyed.) It was a nice drive north and we arrived in Lancaster before lunch and went to the Central Market. It is an indoor food market with some craft items and we did buy a few things including some yummy apple butter. After lunch, we walked a little more around Lancaster before setting out into the countryside. We wanted to check out a corn maze but decided the cost wasn't worth it. We did go on a buggy ride in Amish country and learned more about the lifestyle of the Amish people.

Our hotel had an indoor and outdoor pool so we enjoyed swimming before dinner at a family smorgasboard restaurant. Stephen had shoefly pie for dessert which is a specialty of the area (I had had shoefly cake as a 12 year old and knew I didn't like it, so I passed on that). Sunday it was pouring rain, but we braved the weather and went to the church where my dad had spent his pastoral internship year (which was why I was born in PA). We even met someone who remembered my parents, particularly the fact that Dad had played on the Lutheran softball team and sported one of their 'glamorous' uniforms. Stephen also had a connection with the pastor of the church.

After a drive in another part of the countryside to see some of the covered bridges that are still in existance, we had a quick lunch and then headed back to DC.

Thank you to all who sent birthday wishes - either electronically or by snail mail or by phone.

No comments: