A newsLETTER blog about life for Sarah, Stephen and Alexandria Padre in Our Nation's Capital

May 25, 2009

Memorial Day activities


Today was the first Memorial Day that I ever remember doing anything patriotic. There was a parade in downtown D.C. (I don't remember any other place I have lived having a parade on this day) and so after joining a friend and her friends for a picnic lunch on the Washington Mall in view of the Lincoln Memorial, we walked over to Constitution Avenue and sat on a curb to view the parade. Lexi had never been to a parade before that she can remember and she seemed to think it was a lot of fun. Especially after U-Haul (don't ask me what U-Haul was doing in the parade - advertising, I think) handed out flags. Our family ended up with two and she happily waved them, sometimes at the same time. She also enjoyed pointing out the horses (which she called donkeys at first) and waving in general.

The parade had a lot of marching bands in it from all over the U.S. I was surprised that so many of them came all that way and that they couldn't march in straight lines! My high school band director would have had a fit! I also couldn't believe that the band uniforms hadn't changed much - you would think that they would become a bit more modernized.

We also saw the WWII memorial which is new since the last time I was in D.C. sometime in the late 90s. It was quite impressive and had lots of granite and water.

No comments: