A newsLETTER blog about life for Sarah, Stephen and Alexandria Padre in Our Nation's Capital

May 29, 2009

Little in the way of clothing

It has been an adjustment for me to just wear shorts out of the house and not think that I am going to stand out. At least compared to Europe and Kenya, Americans wear a lot less clothing - and show a lot more skin. Short (very!) dresses, short skirts, short shorts, short sleeves, no sleeves, low cut blouses....I feel like I haven't seen this much skin in years! But I think it is VERY nice to be able to wear shorts in this hotter weather and not feel that I standing out or likely to offend anyone (don't worry, my shorts aren't all that short!). In Kenya, you would still see people in sweaters, even when it was quite warm and we would be in short sleeves.

In general, I would say people are more casual in their dress than Europeans in particular. Jeans are common, many people wear sandals and I have seen few suits (though maybe I haven't been to the right part of town). You still see a fair number of interesting outfits: there was a woman at the DMV wearing a baby blue felt cowboy hat and the other day, we saw a woman with a very short dress that reminded me of a pumpkin in shape and color.

No comments: